Packing for a vacation can be a maddening experience. You spend hours digging through your closets, chests of drawers, and other storage spaces looking for all the right clothes. Then comes the fun part: Trying to pack it all into a suitcase while staying under the weight limit. You surely don’t want to get socked with a surcharge once you arrive at the airline ticket counter.
Throughout this mind-bending exercise, it’s easy to overlook some very important steps that can help make your Texas vacation go smoother, especially if you suffer a loss. Here are some suggestions to consider before packing your luggage.
1. Buy a backpack. Talk about versatile baggage. Forget that small piece of luggage that comes snuggled inside your main suitcase. A backpack has multiple storage compartments that secure with a zipper, and it easily stores in the overhead bins. Best of all, you can sling it over your shoulder for easy transport.
2. Store your valuables in the backpack during the flight. This will keep them in sight, but also protects them. A 35mm SLR camera and a handheld transceiver (H-T, to you ham radio ops out there), bit the dust on separate trips because I stashed them in the suitcase. Even though I wrapped them in clothing, they still got jostled enough to break. A very costly learning experience.
3. Make photocopies of your passport. Leave one copy at home or with a trusted friend. The others are stashed in your room safe. (If you don’t have access to a safe, hide the paperwork in rolled up clothing.) If your passport is lost or stolen, the sooner you can provide the consulate or embassy with a photocopy, the faster you’ll get a new passport. You may even consider scanning the appropriate page, and leaving that file home. Your contact there can easily e-mail the file, should that become necessary.
8 Reasons to Plan a Bachelorette in Barcelona
Idea #1: Family activities for water lovers.
Broken Bow Lake has over 14,000 acres of pristine deep water. The water is incredibly clear and cool because its 180 miles of shore is lined with the forest covered Kiamichi Mountains. Nature in its most unspoiled state is found along the Glover River, Oklahoma's only untamed waterway (which means there are no dams blocking its course). Because Glover is secluded, its calm waters are ideal for floating on a raft. Beavers Bend has paddle boats and bumper boats. Rent a canoe and take a long lazy cruise together. Take turns paddling, then stop and drift for awhile, taking in the scenery - that includes Eagles flying overhead. Canoes seat two adults and two small children. Older kids will love kayaking, rafting or zooming around the lake on jet skis.
Idea #2: Create your own family posse on horseback.
Southeastern Oklahoma is home to over 535,000 acres of land available for horseback riding. The Ouachita National Forest and the Three Rivers Wildlife Management areas are prime areas for exploration as a family. Horses can travel on the forest floor. The Beavers Bend Depot is perfect for beginners and children where a 2.5 mile ride allows riders to catch a glimpse of deer and various types of wildlife. For more experienced riders, the back roads of McCurtain County offer endless riding adventures.
Idea #3: Play a game of family golf in a pine-laden wilderness.
The course has a pro shop, resident pro, cart and club rentals. Fairways cascade through stands of pine, oak, and hickory and past deer, fox, and wild turkey. More than one hole offers a fine view of Broken Bow Lake and the occasional glimpse of bald eagles.
Idea #4: Take a stroll together in a nearby small town
Head to nearby Broken Bow, OK to walk around and do some window-shopping. Grab hamburgers at Stephen's Gap. Catch an old timey radio show live on Broadway Street. Watch chainsaw sculpting at Hochatown Junction Station. Culture and history are plentiful in Broken Bow with three museums each with its own unique subject to offer a rewarding learning experience. The Gardner Mansion and Museum has a collection of pre-historic and historic Indian and pioneer artifacts. Located outside the museum are the remains of a 2,000 year-old Cypress tree.
Spending quality time together as a family can solidify and strengthen family ties, particularly when activities involve water sports, the great outdoors and splendor of nature as that can be found in McCurtain County.
4. Copy any pertinent medical records and prescription information as above.
Sightseeing in Texas
Encourage staff and managers to take their vacation time. Even a day or two of vacation can make a huge difference in employee motivation. Now is the best time to plan the summer schedule and ensure that your employees are taking those earned and deserved vacation days.
USA TODAY (MAR 01 2007) published that some 51% of executives surveyed by Accountemps, Menlo Park, Calif., a specialized staffing service for temporary accounting, finance, and bookkeeping professionals, maintain they are more productive after a vacation than before
Now there is more proof that vacations increase employee productivity and even improve overall health, as the Travel Industry Association released its conclusions from studies of data that looked at the health benefits of vacation travel.
- On a scale of 1 to 5, travelers rate their overall health 1 full point higher while on vacation.
- Travelers say they get three times more deep sleep and sleep almost 20 minutes longer after their vacation.
- Even the anticipation of vacation travel generates an increase in positive feelings about one's life as a whole, family, economic situation, and health.
- An annual vacation can cut a person's risk of heart attack by 50 percent
- Women who take more vacations are more satisfied with their marriages.
- More than half of employed Americans say they come back feeling reconnected with their family after vacation.
- Three out of four executives believe that vacations are necessary for them to prevent burnout or that vacations improve their personal job performance.
- Travelers experience a 25 percent increase in performance on vigilance tests after returning from vacation - travelers 45 or older show a 50 percent increase in performance.
- Two out of three executives believe that vacations improve their creativity.
Results indicate that annual vacations can improve health, quality of daily life, productivity, and commitment to family and the workplace.
- Guided Tour Houston Texas
- City Tour San Antonio Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Dallas Texas
- Guided City Tour Austin Texas
- Sightseeing Fort Worth Texas
- Things To Do In El Paso Texas
- Tourist Attractions Arlington Texas
- Things To Do In Corpus Christi Texas
- City Tour Plano Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Laredo Texas
- Tourist Attractions Lubbock Texas
- Guided City Tour Garland Texas
- Guided City Tour Irving Texas
- Tours Amarillo Texas
- Sightseeing Grand Prairie Texas
- Guided City Tour Brownsville Texas
- Things To Do In Pasadena Texas
- Things To Do In Mesquite Texas
- City Tour McKinney Texas
- Things To Do In McAllen Texas
- Sightseeing Killeen Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Waco Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Carrollton Texas
- Tours Beaumont Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Abilene Texas
- Tours Frisco Texas
- Attractions Denton Texas
- Things To Do In Midland Texas
- Sightseeing Wichita Falls Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Odessa Texas
- Guided Tour Round Rock Texas
- Things To Do In Richardson Texas
- Attractions Tyler Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Lewisville Texas
- Tourist Attractions College Station Texas
- Attractions San Angelo Texas
- Guided City Tour Pearland Texas
- Attractions Allen Texas
- Sightseeing League Texas
- Tours Longview Texas
- Tours Sugar Land Texas
- Attractions Edinburg Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Mission Texas
- Tours Bryan Texas
- City Tour Baytown Texas
- Guided Tour Pharr Texas
- Sightseeing Missouri Texas
- City Tour Temple Texas
- City Tour Harlingen Texas
- Sightseeing Flower Mound town Texas
- Guided City Tour North Richland Hills Texas
- Things To Do In Victoria Texas
- Sightseeing Tour New Braunfels Texas
- Tourist Attractions Mansfield Texas
- Guided City Tour Conroe Texas
- Sightseeing Rowlett Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Port Arthur Texas
- Tours Euless Texas
- Guided City Tour DeSoto Texas
- Tours Cedar Park Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Galveston Texas
- Guided Tour Georgetown Texas
- Things To Do In Bedford Texas
- Attractions Pflugerville Texas
- Things To Do In Grapevine Texas
- Tourist Attractions Texas Texas
- Guided City Tour Cedar Hill Texas
- Tourist Attractions San Marcos Texas
- Sightseeing Haltom Texas
- Things To Do In Wylie Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Keller Texas
- Guided Tour Coppell Texas
- Sightseeing Huntsville Texas
- Things To Do In Duncanville Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Sherman Texas
- Tourist Attractions Rockwall Texas
- City Tour Hurst Texas
- City Tour Burleson Texas
- Guided Tour Texarkana Texas
- Tours Lancaster Texas
- Things To Do In The Colony Texas
- Tours Friendswood Texas
- Guided Tour Weslaco Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Del Rio Texas
- Guided Tour Lufkin Texas
- Guided City Tour San Juan Texas
- Tours La Porte Texas
- Attractions Nacogdoches Texas
- Sightseeing Copperas Cove Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Socorro Texas
- Attractions Deer Park Texas
- Tourist Attractions Schertz Texas
- Attractions Rosenberg Texas
- Tourist Attractions Waxahachie Texas
- Tours Cleburne Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Farmers Branch Texas
- Attractions Kyle Texas
- Tourist Attractions Big Spring Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Lake Jackson Texas
- Guided Tour Harker Heights Texas
- Tourist Attractions Southlake Texas
- Tours Leander Texas
- Attractions Eagle Pass Texas
- Tourist Attractions Kingsville Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Little Elm Texas
- Tourist Attractions Greenville Texas
- Guided City Tour Weatherford Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Seguin Texas
- Tourist Attractions Paris Texas
- City Tour San Benito Texas
- Things To Do In Alvin Texas
- Tourist Attractions Corsicana Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Balch Springs Texas
- Sightseeing Tour Marshall Texas
- Things To Do Near Me Watauga Texas
- Things To Do In University Park Texas
- Sightseeing Colleyville Texas
- Guided Tour Denison Texas
- City Tour Kerrville Texas
- Tours Plainview Texas
- Guided Tour Benbrook Texas
- Attractions Sachse Texas